The local business advisor will work according to the “Job description business advisor” and under the direct responsibility of the manager agri-advice (Cees van Rij). He will work in close cooperation with the other business advisors for Nepal and of the Asia team.
- Formal education in MBA, Finance, Agricultural Economics or related studies
- Computer literate (MS Office, preferably Accounting software)
- Fluent in English and Nepalese
- Flexible (no 9-5 mentality), able and willing to frequent travel and stay in rural places
- Diplomatic skills to develop partnership with governmental and business entities
- Expertise in financial, governance and business management
- Strongly developed analytical abilities
- Demonstrable experience in client-friendly and result-oriented service provision
- Strategic thinking skills
- Experience in project management and accounting
- Experience in advising and training people, achieving lasting results
- Experience with farmer-led enterprises, farmer cooperatives and federations of farmers cooperatives
- Committed to smallholder farmers’ economic development
- Appreciative communication skills and attitude
- Respectful and patient attitude, pro-active, convincing and target-driven
- Self-geared (able and willing to work independently)
- Generalist: eager to learn other topics and expand skills
- To facilitate and accompany peer-to-peer advisory assignments conducted by experts stemming from the Dutch agribusiness in support to farmers’ organizations and cooperatives in Nepal and abroad
- To monitor developments and progress of Agriterra clients based among others on jointly established yearly targets and key performance indicators written down in yearly action plans
- To give follow-up and advise to clients on at least three of the following topics:
- Governance and internal management
- Financial management
- General proper recording (membership, volumes produce, minutes, etc)
- Communication and reporting
- Extension services
- Marketingand input provision
- Business practices
- Value chain development
- Lobby and advocacy
- To conduct scoping and company/organisation assessments of potential clients
- To conduct relevant sectorial studies and update existing documents;
- To keep updated Agriterra information systems on clients and contribute to knowledge management of Agriterra:
- each client: action plans, missions, field visits, communication
- potential loan providers
- legal and tax framework
- potential local experts/consultants
- Result-driven agribusiness advice featuring tailor-made financial, business and governance support that fulfils Agriterra specific aims while at the same time meeting the demand of the clients.
- Advice on improvement of the clients’ (agribusiness) internal organisation, position on the market and growth ambition.
- Increase number of farmer organisations in Agriterra’s portfolio having a potential healthy agri-business, having access to loan capital and/or financial services and/or having a sustainable and effective service provision system to members.
- Client satisfaction, as well as satisfied parties in the business sector, investors, financial institutions, development organisations, the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and all departments of Agriterra, including AgriPool.
- The advisor will work under supervision of Mr. Cees van Rij, Manager team Agribusiness in the Netherlands, and he/she will support and work closely with the Agriterra Business advisor in Nepal. Evaluation of the performance of the advisor will be done after every client intervention in order to establish areas of further development. A final evaluation will be done at the end of the year.
- The duty station is Kathmandu with frequent travels to the clients locations. (guiding time distribution: 1-2 weeks/month at home office, 2-3 weeks/month at clients).
- The advisor will be provided with a laptop computer and mobile phone and access to Agriterra’s ICT network and systems. The devices will remain property of Agriterra and will be returned after contract closure.
- The costs incurred for communication, transport and accommodation during travels to clients will be reimbursed upon production of receipts based on Agriterra’s remuneration conditions.
- There will be close cooperation and communication between other business advisors stationed in or outside of Nepal about planning and exchange of information
- Full-time contract (i.e. 36 hours/week)
- Overwork will not be compensated.
Your application should include a motivation letter and CV. Application needs to be received in electronic copy latest by Sunday, 03 July 2016 at email@example.com stating the vacancy code (2016-10/Agriterra) in the email subject line.