TEAM/PROGRAMME: Global Fund
LOCATION: National Public Health Laboratory, Teku
POST TYPE: Fixed term till March 15, 2018
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 - The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners from civil societies and government, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives. We reached approximately 2-3 million populations and invested over 70 million US dollars in 2016 to reach more children than ever before, through programs in Health, Nutrition, Education, Protection and Child Rights and Governance, Livelihoods, HIV and AIDS, and Humanitarian crises.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Operations Manager and guidance from NPHL Director and Director from NTC, NCASC and EDCD, the Bio-medical Engineer is responsible for smooth functioning of Bio-medical equipment under NPHL, NTC, NCASC and EDCD and providing on-site coaching and mentoring to operator of such bio-medical equipment in the field. Take necessary action for timely maintenance of equipment and provide other technical support/guidance related to procurement, operation and maintenance of Bio-medical equipment.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- To represent Save the Children in Technical Working Group meetings at DoHS and Ministry of Health
- To support Ministry of Health, NCASC, NPHL and LMD for the preparations of specifications for the procurement of heavy equipment such as viral load, CD4, CT scan, reagents etc and other items as requested by Ministry of Health.
- To take full responsibility of heavy equipment like Viral load machine, CD4 Count machines, Deep Freezers (minus 80 freezer) etc throughout the country.
- To make sure that all the medical devices are in full operational condition.
- To monitor operation condition of devices like AC, refrigerator, computers, UPS systems and other electrical and electronic devices that have direct or indirect relation with medical devices and tests.
- To carry out the maintenance of medical devices that could be planned preventive maintenance (PPM) or the repairs at times of breakdown.
- To keep an up-to-date maintenance log of medical devices.
- Calibration of medical devices.
- To co-ordinate with all the departments regarding the state of the devices.
- To provide training to users (doctor, nurse, lab technician, lab technologist or other related persons) of the device regarding the proper use and handling, and preventive maintenance.
During the time of procurement:
- Prepare the technical specification of the device being procured
- Evaluation of the bid documents when required.
- Evaluation of the new machine at the time of commissioning.
- Inspection after the installation of new devices.
Carry out the maintenance of devices mentioned in point number 2 up to our knowledge. Seek external help whenever required or call related second party whenever required.
Be a manager to the maintenance unit.
- Show the leadership, co-ordinate and direct the maintenance technicians as per the requirement.
- Make a proper collection of maintenance kits, tools and other devices.
- Provide the information regarding the status of equipment to the hospital management whenever required.
- Co-ordinate with the second party regarding the proper maintenance when there is Annual Maintenance Contract (AMC).
- To keep a proper collection of all the user manuals and the service/maintenance manuals of all the devices.
- Stay in stand-by during the time of operation.
- Plan joint monitoring visits of selected sites with Save the Children program and regional teams and share the trip report with the team
- Ensure that all the delivery sites are supplied enough test kits, reagents, medicines, guideline, recording and reporting template/registers on time
- Work closely with Save the Children technical team, logistic team and NCASC to ensure efficient and collaboratory system for HIV.
- Undertake any other assignments as requested by Director of NPHL, Director of NCASC and supervisor.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (Our Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Master’s degree in Bio-medical Engineering
Work Experience: At least 3 years of experience in the relevant field
- Excellent oral and written (both Nepali & English) communication skills
- Numeracy, and analytical ability
- Action oriented individual with good planning and problem solving skills
- Well organized in work and documentation
- Attention to details
- IT skills
- Interpersonal and coordination skills, and orientation towards teamwork
- Where necessary, physical ability to undertake heavy lifting and organizing duties within the store