TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program Operations Department
LOCATION: Mid & Far-Western Field Office (Nepalgunj/Surkhet)
CONTRACT LENGHT: National Fixed Term
CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3 – the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the policy checking/vetting process of staff.
The Associate Director – Field Program Operations will provide leadership to the Mid and far West field Programs and Operations in close consultation with Deputy Country Director- Program Operations and is responsible for ensuring high quality child focused programs are designed/planned and delivered reaching to the most vulnerable and at risk children throughout the provinces (field level) program / project areas of Save the Children. The position holder is responsible for the overall coordination of program implementation and for effective delivery of high quality programming in line with the program objectives.
The position holder is also responsible to ensure the monitoring of financial, personnel, administrative and partnership management of Field Office and in line with Save the Children principles, values and strategic plan and following Save the Children compliance procedures.
The position holder will also ensure providence and Palika level grants, funds tracking mechanisms are in place and quality reports are prepared and submitted in timely manner and corrective measures are taken proactively. Ensure Partners Annual Plan is fully aligned with the Country Strategic Plan (CSP) and SC’s theory of change. Be accountable to promote, use and safeguard the organizational policies and procedures. Oversee management of all Partner Organizations in the region and support the DCD-Programs for ensuring smooth phase in, phase-over/out and new selection of the partners and program districts.
Ensure SCI/donor compliances are cascaded to the program and partners level and rolled out appropriately and effectively.
Be responsible for Field level and district level coordination, collaboration, linkages with governments, UN, donors, NGOs, civil societies for joint advocacy and smooth implementation of program and administration. Represent Save the Children at province, local and national/international level as needed.
Ensure cross- learning is fostered across program/projects, center and provinces significantly and in an institutionalized way in order to ensure there is significant contribution to achieve the organization’s goal from the regions.
As part of dual mandate the post holder is responsible to support CO in preparing the Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) of the field office and ensure that the EPP is updated, timely responses is made on all emergencies as required and it is consistent with established benchmarks, plans and organizational policies in close coordination with the humanitarian team. Work with government focal agency to lead/support the District Lead SA plan and actions
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Ensuring Quality of Programs / Projects delivery and Implementation
- In close coordination with the Deputy Country Director participate in designing, innovative and high quality programmes to serve difficult to reach children for the state/region (districts) Ensure kick off of all the projects in the region and partners is timely done and ensure that all programs progress in accordance with grant agreements, are completed within time and on budget (such as conduct grant opening meetings and monthly Budget vs Actual meeting).
- Provide clear directions / guidance to the field office and partner organization’s team in designing cost effective, result oriented projects / programs, in collaboration with government (if required) for long lasting impact on target beneficiaries in line with CO’s CSP, CAP and members country requirement.
- Lead/facilitate and contribute in preparing strategic plan and implementation plan of the Field Office and Partner Organizations including budget new approaches and strategies
- Review and ensure that the plans / proposals and budget submitted by POs are in line with SC’s CSP and CAP.
- Ensure that all the target groups/individuals received significant benefit from programs in the project areas.
- Ensure annual logistic plan of Field office/ projects/partners are available and implemented accordingly.
- Ensure project managers prepare timely and high quality progress reports, program reports, and donor reports in a manner to allow review and consolidation efficiently.
- Oversee all district offices functionality and effectiveness and recommend for any improvements or changes required to the DCD -Program Operations
Project / program management and development
- Lead in developing detailed project / program work plans along with budget and implementation strategies in accordance with CSP, CAP and SC’s theory of change for field office
- Ensure projects / programs tracking systems are developed for tracking projects / programs / partners’ progress, budget expenses. Ensure tracking of activities and expenditures are conducted on a monthly basis. Take immediate and prompt corrective actions as required in close coordination with project and finance point persons in field office and in CO team.
- Contribute in developing country annual plan, project development and concept notes together with POD/PDQ team.
- Ensure project/programs are regularly monitored by SC, PO and, concerned stakeholders with appropriate monitoring check lists.
- Conduct semi/annual review meeting to share the progress, lesson learnt, best practices and collect suggestion from PO for further improvement in program management/ implementation in region.
- Ensure cross- learning is fostered across program/projects, centre and provinces/field offices significantly and in an institutionalized way
Program Partners’ Management
- Ensure adequate technical and managerial backstopping to POs to enhance their organizational capacity for better performance.
- Ensure smooth relationship with Partner Organizations during program/project period maintained.
- Ensure smooth management of partnership with NGOs, private sector and government line agencies at province and district levels
- Ensure phase in and phase out plans for partners are in place and implemented.
- Ensures strategic plan and detailed implementation plan of POs, based on SC’s CSP, CAP and provincial need, ensuring use of lessons learned, evaluation recommendations, best practices and incorporating financial plans
- Ensure legal compliances and effective implementation of partnership agreements
- Ensure regular follow up and support to POs for project / program and budget progress, verifying implementation, monitoring, reporting, documentation etc.
- Ensure the partnership guideline is followed and deal with partnership modality and issues
- Ensure POs are well oriented on SC policies and compliances.
- Ensure that every partnership is formed in the context of the Theory of Change and is designed and managed so that the partnership furthers achievement of Save the Children's global strategy and strengthens local capacity to deliver for children
- Analyse potential partners using documented selection methods and ensure that all partners comply with Save the Children and donor requirements and regulations.
- Analyse the capacity of partners and support them further on emergency preparedness and response
Ensuring Technical Quality of Program / Projects’ monitoring and evaluation
- Oversight of technical components and ensure the guidance have been taken from thematic advisors and technical manages
- Make sure the quality projects have been implemented
- Ensured implementation meets the donor and SCI requirements
- Visit project sites for monitoring and ensures monitoring systems are at place and functional
- Ensure/support for effective implementation of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Accountability & Learning in partners.
- Ensure effective management of monitoring, evaluation and documentation, research and surveys of program activities;
- Ensure financial accountability in the use of funds and achievement of annual and CSP targets
- Ensure data base systems (OPMIS) at all levels is used optimally and use of information from data base to track projects / program progress on monthly basis
Administrative Management/ Safety security/ IT
- Ensure day to day administrative and management work of field office
- Ensure the security of staff and property is safeguarded
- Ensure operations and logistic supports are effective and efficient in field and project offices
- Ensure the clear lines of communication are maintained between/among partners, field office and CO.
- Be responsible to safeguard and implement SCI values and all 0 tolerance policies
- Serve as point person to promote and implement Child Safeguarding and sexual harassment policies in field office
- Contribute to the development of staffing structure of field office and all projects under the field office
- Work closely with HR and Program Implementation department to ensure staff positions are in place to deliver effective programs
- Update and submit the job description of the field and project staffs to concerned department as required
- Ensure all staff members have clear performance objectives, based on their job descriptions and evaluate the staff's performances and provide feedback for their performance improvement and capacity building
- Ensure all staff members have monthly work plans in place with substantial amount of time provided to monitoring of programs using standard check-lists and well documented reports of field visit and support
- Represent Save the Children at province level and advocate for its programs and image
- Ensure all projects / program budget are clearly developed in phase budget frame, with monthly, quarterly breakdowns.
- Identify Program/project Coordinators/Officer in Field Office to closely follow up and ensure project / program activities and budget progress.
- Ensure Program/project Coordinators/Officer prepare and follow up burn rates for annual, quarterly and monthly budget for all projects / programs implemented by Regional office.
- Prepare and recommend for amendment/s in quarterly project / program budget release for Field office in consultation with Director Program Operations/ Deputy Country Director (POD)
- Function as the budget holder for field office and ensure the releases of budget to POs are in line with the approved plans
- Ensure monthly tracking of budget planned versus expenditure are in place and Field directors at CO Program Operations is kept informed.
- Ensure overall financial monitoring is regularly undertaken (at least every quarter) and notify the Supervisor, Finance Director and Deputy Country Director (Program Operations) upon any kind discrepancies/fraudulent activities observed
- Ensure accuracy in recording and documentation of all the financial transactions such that it is in line with organization policies and as per the requirement of donors
- Ensure the implementation of audit plan and carry out recommendations / action plans
- Support /ensure monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and annual progress reports (both program and financial) prepared, monitored and reviewed as relevant
- Ensure timely and quality reporting to donors is submitted by team
- Ensure the accurate reporting template have been used and proper orientation to SC and Partner staff have been provided
- Ensure the information and data required for SCI reporting have been collected and analysed before its submission
- Represent the organization to government, international agencies, networks and donors in the federal states and at districts.
- Maintain close relationship with GOs, I/NGOs, UN, & donors to ensure that programs are implemented in an effective and coordinated manner and maintain good public relations
- Ensure Emergency preparedness plans for small and medium sized are in place and responded as and if required
- Supporting Save the Children’s dual mandate of development programs as well as being the leader in emergency preparedness and response for children
Occasional Significant Duties
- Arrange and lead visit of visitors in the field
- Support CO POD team in project or operational issues as and when required/ and asked by Supervisor.
- Perform any duties as and when required or assigned by the organization / line manager
- Ensure cross fertilization of learning within projects and PDQ
- Provide input, accurate information and learning on proposals
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Master's degree or equivalent in Management or related Social Science
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- At least ten years (seven years for GSI* group) of experience in leading and managing overall project/program at managerial portfolio preferably at international agencies
- Senior leadership experience
- Program / Project management and reporting skills required
- Grants and budget tracking experiences
- Experience on detailed implementation plan and project work plans
- Managing partnership both with civil societies and government
- people management and team building skill
- Ability to generate and promote ownership among team members
- Problem solving skill
**GSI group include Female, Dalit, Madhesi, People with Disabilities and other indigenous/minorities